Under 16 Basketball
Revised September 11/15
- Unless specifically stated, the rules of basketball adopted by the National Federation of State High School Associations (2010-11) will be used.
- Teams are allowed a full court press at any time during the game.
- Teams are allowed to play both man-to-man and zone defence.
- Teams may only dress a maximum of 15 players per game, and have no other players on the bench.
- All games will be 2 x 20 minute halves running time with the last 2 minutes of each game being stop time. Teams will be entitled to 2 full timeouts, and 1 half timeout. If the point differential is greater than 20 points, the clock will not stop for the last 2 minutes.
- T-shirts worn underneath jerseys must be the same colour as the dominant colour of the jersey.
- All games will be played with a ball size 7.
- Home team must have alternate numbered jerseys available if jerseys between teams are too similar, and the home team must change.
- Referees will be arranged by the league convenor along with the referee coordinator for the area. A competent staff member may officiate the game, if and only if referees fail to arrive and both coaches agree, but the game will not count for standings.
- Sportsmanship and fair play are to be displayed at all times by players, coaches and fans.
- If a player or coach is ejected from a game for unsportsmanlike behaviour they are automatically suspended for the next game the team plays and it must be reported to the SSAF Executive.
- There will be a maximum plus or minus of 15 for scoring and standings purposes. This is to promote sportsmanship and fair play, and to discourage running up scores.
- In the event of a tie after 4 regulation quarters, 4 minute overtime periods will be played as needed to break the tie.
- All ties in the standings are broken by the head to head game played between the teams.
- Tournament format will vary year to year based on numbers of teams in the tournament. This rule is outlined in the rules sent out to all teams from the convenor before the tournament.
- All teams must complete the SSAF eligibility sheet and fax or email it to the tournament convenor within the specified time frame.
- Teams that cannot compete on the day of the tournament due to lack of players will forfeit each game, at a score of 15-0. If the tournament is cancelled due to weather, a reschedule date will be agreed upon by all schools involved and the convenor.
- Jewellery must be removed prior to the start of a game. This includes, but is not limited to any plastic or metal items.
- Each team must have alternate colour numbered pinneys or jerseys in case of colour conflict. The Home Team will change jerseys.
- Due to spatial limitations, there can be no more than 2 adults (coaches) on the bench. In addition, only 1 coach may stand at a time during the game.
- In the case where an athlete is playing on the school’s U20 Basketball Team, they may also participate on the U16 team. This is an exception to the regular SSAF regulations.